Thursday, July 24, 2008

Gender Confusion?

I have discovered, rather by accident, that Charlie thinks he is a girl. I had really not given it any thought at all as to whether he knew or cared if he was a boy or a girl, until answering a developmental assessment the other week as part of Charlie's early intervention screen. Did he identify himself as a boy? the interviewer wanted to know. Err, no -- he calls hismelf a baby, I answered, and left it at that. But later I asked him: "Charlie are you a boy or a girl?" "A girl!" he promptly replied. I have asked him several more times and he has always ansered the same. This afternoon I attempted to correct him:
ME: "Charlie, are you a boy or a girl?"
CHARLIE: "A girl!"
ME: "You're a boy, not a girl. Devereaux is a girl. Ava is a girl. Tom is a boy. Charlie is a boy."
CHARLIE: "NO! MY GIRL!!!!"
Okay, jeez bud -- you can be a girl. For now.

No comments: