Saturday, July 25, 2015

The Mystery Of The Stolen Bike Seat

(Or more accurately, the mystery of why someone would steal a bike seat?!)

When I left work yesterday afternoon and went to unlock my bike I discovered that someone had stolen my bike seat and helmet. Clearly this person had been riding their bike at the time and decided they liked my seat better because they left me with their bike seat. (Wtf?!) 

I called Mandy to come pick me up since while they had left me with their bike seat, they took the post and clamp off of my bike to attach the seat to theirs, so the seat they left me couldn't actually be attached to my bike, leaving it unrideable.  

Mandy picked me up and we threw the bike in the back of the car. We were driving down 51 and I was saying "there's some punk kid riding around town with my bike seat and helmet!" As we stopped at a red light, Mandy looked out the drivers' side window and said, "You mean like that one?"

I looked out her window and sure enough their was a teenaged boy on a little red bike with a big old white bike seat and wearing a silver bike helmet. 

He crossed right in front of us, giving me the opportunity to roll my window down and give him quite an earful ;-) ("Mom, what did you say?" Charlie asked. "I'll tell you when you turn 18, honey.") 

When he heard me the kid tore off, and since we had 5 kids who needed to be picked up at 3 different summer camps within the next 20 minutes there was no use following him. 

My bike is currently at the shop, where they had to order all the parts so it won't be ready till Thursday. Mercifully they felt sorry for me and only charged me $17.99, giving me the bike seat for free. 

And I guess now I'll be locking my bike up at work instead of across the street. 

1 comment:

Grandma said...

Very funny story! Too bad you couldn't pursue LOL