Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Comprehension of a Two Year Old

Tonight at dinner I tried to explain to Charlie that I would be going away for a few days, and that he would be spending a fun weekend with daddy.
ME: "Charlie..."
CHARLIE: "What?"
ME: "Tomorrow Mommy is going to take a plane ride to see Aunt Mandy for a few days and you're going to stay here with Daddy."
CHARLIE: "Mommy, you want a meatball?"
ME: "No, honey... So mommy will be away for a few days but I'll talk to you on the phone and I'll see you very soon..."
CHARLIE: "I got Coke in my mouth!"
ME: "Okay bud? So Mommy's going to go away for a couple days but I'll be home before you know it and you're going to have a special weekend with Daddy."
CHARLIE: "There're bubbles in my Coke!"*

In retrospect I lost him after "What?"


*It was caffeine free and I only gave him a tiny bit, I swear.

No comments: