Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Night Awakenings

At three years old Amelia is still waking up on average 3 to 4 times a night. Since Charlie was also an awful sleeper at that age, this comes as no surprise. Amelia, however, is apparently determined to take my sleep deprivation to whole new levels.

Her usual run of requests in the middle of the night are of the mundane "I'm too hot", "I'm too cold" & "Fix my covers" variety, but every once in a while she throws in a completely nonsensical request to make sure I'm really awake (because she apparently isn't):

Amelia: "Where's my key??"
Me: "Your key? What key?"
Amelia: (shaking her bunny blanket) "The key to my bunny!"
Me: "Your bunny doesn't have a key."
Amelia: "Then how am I going to open it??"
Me: "You're not! You're going to go back to sleep!"

Or:

Amelia: "I can't find my bunny!!"
Me: "You're holding it."
Amelia: (looking down at her bunny clenched in her fist) "That's not my bunny! Where's my bunny?"
Me: "It's right there!"
Amelia: "No it's not, that's not my bunny it's a duck!!"

I know there was another one recently too, but since these conversations occur in the middle of the night, I don't remember 90% of them. Maybe in another year or two she'll be a model sleeper like Charlie, who only wakes up ohhh once a night... :-)

No comments: